Yr 5 Chestnut Class - Forest School
On Thursday 19th September Chestnut class will be participating in a Forest School afternoon (12.30-2.45) at Tilgate Park.
What is Forest Schools?
Forest Schools is a unique way of building independence, self-esteem and a positive attitude towards learning in children as they explore and experience the natural world for themselves.
Why is Forest School good for children?
- Beneficial for children who learn by 'doing'
- Children involved in Forest School become more responsible for their actions, can calculate risks better and show improved self-confidence.
- A desire for learning is encouraged and transferred back to the classroom
- Forest Schools encourage children to become more active and healthy
- Children develop self-awareness
- Develop better communication skills
- Develop independence
What activities will they be doing?
- Shelter building
- Constructing and maintaining campfires
- Tracking games
- Observation challenges
There will be no cost for this activity but children will need to bring a packed lunch, water bottle and suitable clothing for outdoor activities which may well get muddy e.g. walking boots or trainers, warm clothes, a waterproof jacket and tracksuit trousers rather than jeans. If the weather is warm, sun tan lotion and a sun hat but the children will still need to wear long trousers and long sleeves.
Children need to arrive at school dressed in normal school uniform but have appropriate clothes to change into. They can be collected at the normal time.
With best wishes